Start (and end) With Why
- Star Wars the Last Jedi: Luke Skywalker asking Rey (on the island), “Why are you here?”
- Simon Sinek has written books Start with Why; Leaders Eat Last (and others) https://startwithwhy.com/ and did an excellent TED talk https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action
The primary quote from Sinek is
People don’t buy what you do. They buy why you do it.
Sinek created and describes the The Golden Circle.
This has application ‘at every turn.’
- A salesperson
- A parent
- A student
- A teacher
- An artist
- An inventor
- A Christian, walking into church
- A Christian, walking out the church doors
- An athlete
The reason I add “and end with” to Sinek’s mantra is that the 4th (and final) step in the problem-solving process, Look Back and Extend is where much of the learning takes place and is where we gain the valuable experience. They key in the Look Back and Extend step is to Ask Why?
Why they do it – why they do what they do.
- (and why should anyone care)