Depending on the source you consult, there may be fewer, or more, than those listed below. I’m going with 6 covenants.
(from ChapGPT, with additions)
- The Edenic Covenant (or Adamic Covenant):
- Description: The covenant made with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, emphasizing obedience and stewardship over creation.
- Bible Passage: Genesis 2:15-17 – “The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. And the Lord God commanded the man, ‘You are free to eat from any tree in the garden, but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.'”
- The Noahic Covenant:
- Description: A covenant with Noah after the flood, promising never to destroy the earth with a flood again.
- Bible Passage: Genesis 9:11 – “I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth.” Genesis 9:13 – “I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.”
- The Abrahamic Covenant:
- Description: The covenant with Abraham promising descendants, a land, and blessings for all nations through him.
- Bible Passage: Genesis 12:2-3 – “I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse, and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”
- The Mosaic Covenant:
- Description: The covenant established through Moses at Mount Sinai, including the Ten Commandments and laws for Israel’s moral and ceremonial conduct.
- Bible Passage: Exodus 19:5 – “Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession.”
- The Davidic Covenant:
- Description: God’s promise to establish an eternal dynasty through King David, with the Messiah coming from his lineage.
- Bible Passage: 2 Samuel 7:16 – “Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before me; your throne will be established forever.”
- The New Covenant:
- Description: A promise of a new and everlasting covenant, written on the hearts of God’s people, offering forgiveness and a personal relationship with God.
- Bible Passage: Jeremiah 31:31 – “The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah.”
- This does not abolish the previous covenants, but is an improved version. (Matthew 5:17) It also includes all people (including gentiles). See passages in the Gospel Coalition.